Dementia: Risks, Symptoms, and Prevention. Dementia is a type of condition which affects the memory and thinking capacity of a person. It interferes with their social abilities to such an extent that the person cannot carry out routine tasks. Visit the best neurologist in Kolkata for early diagnosis and treatment. Although dementia can happen to anyone, there are various risk factors which may increase the probability of developing it. Some of them are as follows:
- Age – Dementia is directly proportional to age. People over 65 years are more prone to developing this disease.
- Family history – People who have a parent or relative with Dementia are at a greater risk of developing this disease.
- Down Syndrome – Research shows that people with Down syndrome are likely to develop Dementia at an early age.
- Sleep Apnea – People who have episodes where they stop breathing while asleep are at a greater risk of developing dementia as lack of oxygen even for a few seconds can cause brain cells to die.
Understanding the various symptoms of Dementia:
The most common symptom is loss of memory. However, over time the person might start having other symptoms which may affect their work as well as their personality. These symptoms are:
- Trouble focusing – People with Dementia have trouble concentrating on a single task. They are disoriented and will try to do multiple things together without completing any.
- Social withdrawal- Due to memory loss they might not remember different people in their life. This will cause them to disengage with people and isolate themselves.
- Difficulty conversing – People with dementia find it difficult to find words to describe something or may zone out of a conversation after some time.
- Psychological changes – There are various psychological changes that occur in a person once they develop dementia. They may become depressed or anxious or have constant mood swings. They may also display inappropriate behavior when presented with a complex situation.
- A lapse in judgment- Memory loss will also affect their decision-making skills. They might give away more money or shower 3-4 times a day even if they are clean.
Schedule a visit to the best neurologist in Kolkata, if you see any similar signs or symptoms mentioned above.
Ways to delay the onset of dementia:
So far, there’s no cure or any sure shot way to prevent dementia. However, by practicing the following steps, one can delay the onset and even manage the symptoms well.
- Be physically and socially active –
It is important to be an exercise for 30 mins daily as it saturates the blood and helps it to reach all parts of the body including the brain. This will help delay the onset of dementia. Engaging in social activities and maintaining relationships with people has also proved to be highly beneficial in delaying dementia.
- Keep your brain active –
Reading and solving puzzles daily can help stimulate your brain and keep it active. It also helps take your mind off stressful events and increase brain power.
- Get enough sleep-
People who have difficulty sleeping or are insomniacs are at a greater risk of developing dementia. Try to get at least 7 – 8 hours of sleep daily to keep your mind fresh and active.
- Quit smoking and consumption of alcohol-
Research has shown that smoking regularly in your midlife doubles the chances of developing dementia at a later age. Even consumption of alcohol has adverse effects on the brain. It is a very common neurological problem. However, by following the above steps it can be prevented. For further queries, book an appointment with a trusted neurologist in Kolkata.