Car shipping is a straightforward way to move your car long distances. If, for example, you’re planning a long vacation on the East coast, you can now arrange to take your car with you. If you’re relocating to the south for the winter or north for the summer, auto transport is a convenient way to take your car with you when you go.
Car shipping means you don’t have to spend endless hours or days sat behind the wheel, be forced to purchase a new car when you’d rather stick with your trusted sedan, or go to the expense of using a rental.
Well, that all sounds pretty easy, but how does it work?
How does car shipping work?
Cars are shipped in various ways, for example, by train, airplane, and sometimes by boat. However, the most common way to ship a vehicle is using an open auto transport carrier. You’ll have already seen lots of these trucks and trailers on the highway or at your local car dealership delivering cars.
This method does mean your car is exposed to the elements, but it is nevertheless a very safe and affordable way to move cars across the country.
If you own a rare, custom, classic, antique, or luxury type of car, you may want to transport your vehicle with an enclosed auto transport provider. The carrier’s trailer is completely enclosed and provides total protection from the elements, traffic, and road grime. However, you can expect to pay 30% to 40% more for this type of service.
How much does it cost?
How much it will cost you to ship your car with an auto transport company depends on several factors:
- Distance: A longer trip will cost more than a shorter trip. However, the average cost per mile is less.
- Make and model of your car: Heavier and bigger cars are more expensive to ship than lighter, smaller ones.
- Location: If you want to ship between major cities, it may be a little less expensive than more remote locations.
- Time of the year: Shipping your car during the summer months could increase the cost considerably because this is the peak time for people moving their vehicles. Car shipping during the holiday season is also costly.
How long will the auto transport take
On average, you can expect it to take anything from 1 to 6 days for state-to-state auto transport. Generally, a car shipping driver can cover around 500 miles in one day. How long car shipping takes depends on several factors:
- Distance: The longer your car has to travel, the longer it will take to deliver your car.
- Location: It is much quicker and easier for a carrier to ship your vehicle if the pick-up and delivery locations are along a major interstate or near a metropolitan area.
- Weather: How quickly your car can be delivered is dependant on the weather. The flow of traffic and the speed of the driver’s progress will be hampered by inclement weather such as snow, ice, hail, thunderstorms, a hurricane, or a tornado.
- Issues on route: The driver’s progress will also be affected by detours, road construction, or heavy traffic.
- Driver’s hours: The Department of Transport sets a limit on the number of hours a truck driver can be on the road.
How complicated is the process?
Car shipping is a very straightforward and uncomplicated process that doesn’t require vast amounts of paperwork. Unless that is, you’re shipping a car from Hawaii to the mainland. In this case, you’ll need to provide the following:
- Valid license and current registration for the vehicle
- Proof of ownership, title, or bill of sale
- Authorization from the lien holder if you’ve leased the vehicle
- Information relating to the person who is responsible for picking up the vehicle
- Certificate of safety inspection
One important document that applies whatever the location for shipping is the Bill of Lading. It is a receipt for what’s being loaded onto the carrier. On the document, you and the driver record the condition of your vehicle before it is loaded and upon delivery. Once the carrier has delivered your car, the Bill of Lading acts as proof of delivery. Visit here: range rover for sale in pakistan for more detailed information.
It’s also a good idea to ask the shipping company for a copy of their insurance terms and conditions. Auto transport carriers are required by law to carry insurance, but the specifics can vary depending on the company. When you get a copy of the insurance, read the details carefully to check whether you’re getting enough coverage.
What to look for in a car shipping company
Before you make a booking, look for the following:
- Get recommendations from people you know who have shipped their cars
- Read online reviews
- Check out ratings and complaints in the Better Business Bureau
- Confirm the company is licensed and authorized by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Check a few quotes before making a decision
- Check exactly what is included in the price
Now you know how easy it is to ship a car, there’s no reason why you should leave your car behind while you’re traveling. Make the journey yourself in the comfort of a train, bus, or plane, and your car will be waiting for you when you arrive at your destination.