Maritime management plays a crucial role in international trade and commerce due to the increased globalization and enticement of sea routes. Are you wondering about the kind of job prospects that graduates with a Master’s degree related to the maritime sector land upon? Here is a list of employment sectors that can offer you suitable job opportunities after qualifying your Maritime Management degree.
- Shipping companies–Individuals working in the management division of a shipping company play a strategic role and focuses on leading the business for its growth and profitability. They are responsible for developing sales, operations, financial and administrative aspects as per individual business strategies. Building and driving shipping agency business for bulk or container-based trades. Professionals working in this field are expected to possess multi-dimensional experience port activities, including:
- Business Development;
- Sales and Marketing.
- Import and export firms–To establish yourself in this sector you must possess foundational knowledge about budget management, international trade, and taxations. You will spend your time dealing with consultations of the clients regarding insurances, duties, and taxes. You must be proficient in the monitoring of the shipments to make sure they align with the compliance of regulations. This position also requires you to engage in the maintenance of customer relations and participation in the organization’s sales activities.
- Clearing and forwarding companies − Clearing and forwarding agents form a link between the business owners of goods and means of transport. They are basically hired to facilitate processes for cargo owners, such as the efficient movement of goods to the buyers by executing some procedural and documentary formalities. These professionals specialize in the laws and regulations governing the shipment of goods through the customs authorities and in commercial practices, particularly those concerning transport. Their day-to-day job activities include:
- Labeling and packing of goods;
- Arranging internal transport;
- Advising exporters on trade laws and price quotations;
- Developments in the field of the carriage;
- File duty drawback claims on behalf of the exporters.
- Cargo handling firms–Individuals have a managerial job in this field expedite and tracks the route movement of incoming & outgoing cargos, also the airline shipments, train terminals, and docks. They generally indulge in taking orders from customers and arranging pick up of cargo from delivery to the loading platform. On a typical day, they prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs involved, as well as inspect and count items received, checking them against invoices or other documents.
I you wish to pursue a career that involves organizing, supervising and managing the port’s functions in a streamlined manner, then you should consider earning a Maritime Management degree. Apply soon.